What Is PCOS?

Alright Pam… what the heck is PCOS? All my girlfriends have asked me this when I dropped the bomb on them. They had been with me through all the crying and confusion years, mind you. Now five years later, here I was, shrugging it off and telling them matter-of-factly, “Well, it’s PCOS, of course! That’s it. It’s just PCOS.” This meant nothing to them. I could see it in the blank look in their eyes. To put it in its simplest terms, PCOS is a type of hormone imbalance that affects your ability to become pregnant. To call it by its full name… PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome… sounds so ugly. So I call it by its more quaint-sounding name “Pcos.” It almost sounds like a character from Pokemon or something, doesn’t it?

The point is, I told my gaggle of girlfriends, it’s a good thing we caught it now. Otherwise, it could have led to BIG problems… diabetes and heart disease, if you really want to know. So what has happened to me, for reasons unknown, is that my body is producing too many androgens. I know you’ve noticed that little bit of facial hair I was getting and didn’t want to say anything. The hair on my head’s gotten a little thinner. I break out with acne like a teenager from time to time. I gained a little mid-age paunch and can’t seem to lose it, even though I consider myself to be fairly active. (Having a farm full of border collies gives you no other choice!) My periods have been irregular for years, but we never talk about Aunt Flo, do we? It’s gross. And yes, I’ve been a little depressed… which is why we cry over a bottle of wine every now and then. This is all the culmination of PCOS. It would have been nice of mom to let me know she had PCOS because it tends to run in families. I try not to think about “what might have been” had I been tested for PCOS five years ago.

For those of you who don’t know me… Hi, I’m Pam… I like gardening, yoga, all things organic, and breeding border collies from my home in Seattle, WA… and this is my story of trying to get pregnant at the ripe old age of 36 after 5 years of living with undiagnosed PCOS and fertility problems.

15 Responses to “What Is PCOS?”

1. Samantha says:

I love your cute dogs, Pam!

I have PCOS too. Does Fertibella realy help?

• Kellsie says:

I hate my life but at least this makes it bearable. I’ve been TTC for 6 yrs with no hope in sight… but is Fertibella really the cure? Your blog gives me a little glimmer of hope.

2. myttcjournal.com says:

Thank you! I love my little fluffballs. :) Since I’ve published my blog, I am surprised by how many people have contacted me about their journey using Fertibella to treat their PCOS. From what I hear, most everyone meets with success within 3 months! I very much recommend this type of treatment before looking into the more invasive options. Thanks for reading, Samantha!

3. small car lover says:

Thanks for your nice fertiballa experience to share with us. Really awesome article with plenty of information.

4. R.P. says:

This was precisely the answers I’d been searching for. Amazing blog. Incredibly inspirational! Your posts are so helpful and detailed. Fertibella is just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks a lot :)

5. Latanya says:

Keep working, nice post! This was the information I had to know.

6. Paula Sanchez says:

I love the web, simply just a moment back I was searching for a brand new pair of shoes and now I am here. So much info at the touch of a hand, it truly is simply incredible. What an inspiring story!

7. anonymous says:

I’ll admit. At first I was a little skeptical about this… I thought fertibella seemed a little pricey… but I think you’ve convinced me.

8. Jayme Franke says:

Just ordered fertibella! my husband and i have been ttc for 3 yrs now! wish me miracles.

9. Lindsey says:

Hi, glad I discovered your blog. I have had pcos for 2yrs and have been struggling with how to treat it.

10. Naynay says:

I also have PCOS. I ordered this kit over the summer and got my BFP already!

11. Paris Hogland says:

I heard most people get pregnant in 2-4 months. That’s amazing!

12. Luisa Miotke says:

What Is PCOS? I’d like to read more about this subject.

13. PCOS Pam says:

Hey ladies, here is a great article about PCOS and TTC:

14. Erin says:

Looks like a cute kit! I like that the fertility and pregnancy tests are included!

Leave Comment